Kristin Songe-Møller opplevde et av sine verste scenarioer under Transat Bretagne Martinique, da masten knakk i helgen. Her kan du lese hvordan hun selv opplevde hendelsen:

First of all, I’d like to say that I’m well and there are no damages on my hull. Dispite the situation I’m in good spirit. There’s not much I can do, but solve the situation in the best possible way. So, I was reaching, sailing about 12 knots. Windspeed about 27 knots. I had one reef in the main, and solent. (I’d been doing some repairs of my mainsail the day and the night before, sewing and taping tears in the leach, and replacing the broken leachline with a new one, so I wanted to be a bit careful with my main…) I was down below, just about to do a routing of how to sail around the highpressure in the Canaries, when I heared the big crash. From the corner of my eye, out of the window I sa w my green mainsail. I think I screamed and shouted whilst I, without even thinking, grabbed my toolbox and ran up into thecockpit. I did a quick check to see how the mast was lying in the water. Luckily it was not touching the hull. Then I started getting the rig off. I took with me the hacksaw, hammer and a pliar on deck. I used the pliar to take the splints out and the hammer to knock the bolts out. It was supprisingly easy. I cut all the ropes and wires with the cockpit-knife. As the sea was fairly big, I wanted to get the mast away from my boat as fast as possible, to prevent any damages on my hull. Then I called the race director. I didn’t cry. I wasn’t scared. I was suprisinglig cool and levelheaded. I was extremely focused on solving the problem in the best possible way. I removd the seal from my propeller shaft, and turned on the engine, whilst I started thinking about how to set a jury rig, using the spinnaker pole(s). Then the autopilot started akting up, because the NKE had no master. Luckily I’ve been working a fair bit on how the NKE-systemworks, thanks to good guidance from my training-partner, Arnaud Godart-Philippe. So it didn’t take me too long to take out the wires from the mast units form the bus, the ones I had cut, and reinit the pilot dispay. I tided up the pole in the companionway. And used the storm-jib, fastened to the pole downhaul on the foredeck, the spinnakerpole in the companionay, and the cled in the spinnaker barber-block. I’m heading to Portugal. Hopefully I’ll get to Lagos without assistance. It’s a good marina, I was there in 1999 and 2000. My worries now, is what to do next. I knew it was a bit of a gamble spending all my money on the Transat, in hope of getting a sponsor. Now I’m pretty much f**ked for that. So I don’t know what to do next. I’ll have to take one thing at the time. First getting my boat safely to shore, then “home” to France. Kristin